Reading and phonics at home
To help children learning to read at home during school closure, Read Write Inc. Phonics are streaming phonics, reading and spelling lessons every weekday on their YouTube channel.
Each lesson is ten to fifteen minutes long and available for 24 hours, so they can be planned in to a flexible daily schedule.
From 1st June:
All lessons will be available at 9.30 am.
Set 1, 2 and 3 Speed Sounds lessons will restart.
Set 2 and 3 Speed Sounds lessons will include new words for reading and spelling.
New daily films:
- Read longer words: for children who can read Set 3 sounds and words confidently.
- Read Red Words 1: for children who are reading Red, Green, Purple, Pink and Orange Read Write Inc. Storybooks. Many children are able to read these in Reception.
- Read Red Words 2: for children who are reading Yellow, Blue and Grey Read Write Inc. Storybooks. Many children are able to read these in Y1.
- Read and Hold a Sentence 1 (from 15th June): reading and writing practice for children reading Green, Purple, Pink and Orange Read Write Inc. Storybooks. (For children reading and writing with Set 1 sounds confidently and learning Set 2 sounds.)
- Read and Hold a Sentence 2 (from 15th June): reading and writing practice for children reading Yellow, Blue and Grey Read Write Inc. Storybooks. (For children reading and writing words with Set 2 sounds confidently and learning Set 3 sounds.)
Speed Sounds Set 1 – for children in Nursery and Reception and children who are new to English
- Set 1 Speed Sounds
- Set 1 Word Time
- Set 1 Spelling
Speed Sounds Set 2 – for children in Reception that can read Set 1 Speed Sounds and for children in Year 1 and 2
- Set 2 Speed Sounds and Word Time
- Set 2 Spelling
Speed Sounds Set 3 – for children in Year 1 and 2 that can read Set 2 Speed Sounds
- Set 3 Speed Sounds and Word Time
- Set 3 Spelling
Don’t worry if you miss a lesson. Once each set has been shown, they will replay one a day from each set. Because the children are familiar with RWI lessons in school, they should be able to follow the activities independently.
For free Read Write Inc. Phonics eBooks, activities and advice, visit Oxford Owl for Home: https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/read-write-inc-home
They are also offering a range of free resources so that children can continue their Read Write Inc. learning journey away from the classroom. Please visit the Read Write Inc. guide for parents.
Set 1 Speed Sounds:
My Set 1 Speed Sounds Book
Set 1 Speed Sounds practice sheets
Set 1 Speed Sounds slideshows
Set 1 Speedy Green Word slideshows
Set 2 Speed Sounds:
My Sets 2 and 3 Speed Sounds Book
Set 2 Speed Sounds practice sheets
Set 2 Speed Sounds slideshows
Set 2 Speedy Green Word slideshows
Set 3 Speed Sounds:
My Sets 2 and 3 Speed Sounds Book
Set 3 Speed Sounds practice sheets
Set 3 Speed Sounds slideshows
Set 3 Speedy Green Word slideshows
Please visit our phonics page, where there are videos to help children practise their sounds at home.
Children should spend at least 30 minutes each day reading a book of their choice. This can be independent reading or shared reading with an adult or a sibling.
- Visit Scholastic – Classroom Magazines, which sets five learning journeys each week. Each day requires the children to listen to a book, read independently and complete a reading activity. These learning journeys are differentiated to cater for all primary age groups. Appropriate videos to support their reading, questions and interactive games are provided alongside each learning journey. Five new learning journeys will be available each week. Please start at week 1.
- Sign up to Oxford Owl, using an email address, to access their free eBook collection, developed for children aged 3–11 years old.
- Oliver Jeffers, author of ‘The Way Back Home’ and ‘Lost and Found’ has been reading his books and talking about some of the things that went into making the book. You can re-watch the videos on his website: https://www.oliverjeffers.com/books#/abookaday/
- Listen to a huge range of stories being read on Storyline Online
- Listen to Kids Poems and Stories with Michael Rosen: https://www.youtube.com/user/artificedesign/videos
- Bedtime stories with Tom Fletcher
- Puffin Books Storytime with stories shared by people including Jacqueline WIlson, Malala Yousafzai and Sophie Kinsella.
- David Walliams is releasing 30 free audio books for you to listen to and enjoy! Every day at 11am, the author of The Boy in the Dress and Gangsta Granny, will be sharing an audio story from one of his best-selling World’s Worst Children short story collections. Whether your children are already firm fans of the author or not, this is a sure way to add some fun and laughter to their mornings. The daily treat is nostalgically named ‘Elevenses’, and children and grown-ups can tune in for a tale elaborately told by the TV presenter, actor and comedian. And, yes, he does all the voices.
Ruth Miskin (Read Write Inc. Phonics) has added Poetry Time films to YouTube and you can find PDFs of the poems below.
The films will stay on YouTube so children and parents can join in and enjoy them again and again.
Weekly Newspaper (First News)
First News Education connects news and learning by delivering weekly reading activities based on exploring the latest stories from First News (the UK’s only newspaper for young people). Activity sheets are included, which deliver news-based comprehensions, debates and vocabulary puzzles at two differentiated levels for Lower Key Stage 2 and Upper Key Stage 2.
10 July – 16 July:
The Happy Newspaper
Please find below, a free Happy News resource pack, that can be downloaded by parents/pupils on the link below. It’s from The Happy Newspaper, a wonderful way of spreading happiness and showing kindness to others at this very strange time. It’s a fabulous pack to print off and work through the activities. Happy News Resource Pack