Welcome to Year 1!
I hope you have had a restful half term and are ready for our new half term, it is a busy one! Please keep checking the website regularly for updates about things happening around school. Below are some general bits of information:
- Indoor PE takes place on a Friday and Outdoor PE takes place on a Monday. Correct kit needs to be worn for each lesson (white t-shirt, black shorts/ jogging bottoms and pumps. Trainers are a good idea for outdoor PE as it can be damp.)
- Please make sure that all items of clothing, including coats and shoes, are clearly named.
- Reading Books need to be read every night with a grown up, and Reading Records need to be signed on each occasion. When your child has read their book and needs it changing, please place both the book and the signed reading record, into the reading basket in the classroom. Books can only be changed, if reading records have been signed.
- Your child will have a set reading day each week (written on their reading record). This is the day they will read to a grown up at school. It is very important they have their books in school on this day! Remember children can change their book at any time in the week.
- Homework is given out on a Friday, and is expected back on the following Wednesday.
If you would like to see our class timetable, please click below
Year 1 Timetable
Our key objectives
Here are some of the objectives we will be working on throughout the half term. If you would like to support your child further at home, these are some of the things all of the children could benefit from practising further.
- Handwriting – We are working very hard on our handwriting at school, making sure we have formed our letters correctly, that they are the correct size and sit on the line properly. We follow the RWI phonics scheme where children are taught a rhyme to form the letter correctly. There is lots of parent information about this online at www.ruthmiskin.com/en/parents/
- Reading – To read words speedily using ‘Fred in our head’ and to read tricky red words/high frequency speedily. The more confidently we can read these words, the more fluent our reading will be.
- Writing – To write simple sentences using finger spaces, a capital letter and a full stop correctly.
- Maths – We are learning about place value so looking at number order, finding missing numbers in a line, working out more/less, understanding language such as ‘greater than’, ‘fewer than’ and ‘equal to’. We are also working on number formation and recognising numbers up to 100.
- Spelling – I will be sending home a list of words for the half term, which we will be focusing on throughout the half term in class. These will be a selection of the key words the children need to be able to spell correctly in Y1. It would really help your child, in both their writing and reading, if you could help them in practising spelling some of these words at home, a few at a time. I will send home some ideas about how to do this with the children.
Further information about topics can be found on our class curriculum map. Please do not hesitate to come and speak to me if you would like anymore information about your child’s learning in school.